Video - Hunger For Hope Contest Draw At Winnipeg Harvest
July 5, 2010
Today at Winnipeg Harvest's headquarters, two lucky contestants of the Corus Radio Winnipeg & WAA Hunger For Hope contest were drawn, each winning a trip for two to Iceland. Through Corus Radio Winnipeg's websites, people could enter to win with every contribution of $25 or more. Flying with Iceland Express, the lucky winners will stay at the Grand Hotel Reykjavik in Iceland's capital city.
On hand for the draw was Garth Buchko, GM of Corus Radio Winnipeg; Dave Northcott, Executive Coordinator of Winnipeg Harvest; and Barry Rempel, President and CEO of WAA (in photo below). A video of the prize draw is below, along with some footage of the Winnipeg Harvest facility.
The contest was part of a partnership between WAA and Corus Radio Winnipeg, created to raise awareness for Hunger For Hope, and raise funds to help end child hunger in Manitoba. Below are some important facts about child hunger in this province:
- Over 18,000 children receive food from Winnipeg Harvest each month, compared to 5,500 ten years ago.
- 1,600 infants require emergency baby formula from Winnipeg Harvest each month.
- Winnipeg has a 22% child poverty rate, the 5th highest in Canada.
The goals of Hunger for Hope are:
- Raise $100,000 each year to cover Winnipeg Harvest's annual cash operating cost of $60,000 for the purchase of baby food and formula. With the additional funds, create an endowment fund to address this need well into the future.
- Proper nutrition is critical to leading active, productive and healthy lives; expand programs that provide nutritional education to families, daycares and schools.
- Heighten awareness of the problem and generate support from individuals and businesses in Manitoba.