Managing and minimizing our impacts on the environment is a top priority for Winnipeg Airports Authority. We're continuously looking for ways to enhance environmental performance for our airport operations and development.
Environmental Management System
Our Environmental Management System is based on ISO 14001 standards. These key procedures and processes are pertinent to airport operations and planning:
- Impact Assessment Process
- Environmental Site Assessment Program
- Strategic Energy and Carbon Management Plan
- Water Quality Management Program
- Hazardous Materials Management Program
- Waste Management Program
- Wildlife Management Plan
WAA continually strives to understand and account for the context in which we operate. Within this context, we want our operations and development activities to be as sustainable as possible. To this end, we are committed to the following:
- We will communicate WAA's definition of sustainability, and our commitment to it, both internally and externally. We view sustainability as a continuous state of consideration and action that yields a fiscally strong corporation, minimal negative impact to the local and global natural environment, and an engaged, informed WAA community.
- We will integrate sustainability thinking and design into our policies, business process, and operations wherever we can.
- We will do our very best to protect the natural environment and prevent pollution.
- We will comply with all applicable legislation and voluntary obligations, such as international standards, protocols, community agreements, etc.
- We will seek to continually improve by setting goals, monitoring and measuring our performance, and taking action if our goals are not met.
- We will be as transparent as we can, while considering safety, security, legal, and other obligations, with our employees, our customers, our regulators, and our surrounding community.
These commitments apply to the full scope and physical boundaries of WAA operations and development activities at Winnipeg Richardson International Airport. To support us in meeting our commitments, we will adopt programs, procedures, and practices which can include:
- An Environmental Management System that conforms to ISO 14001
- An external, local advisory committee to better understand our neighbours and to share information about our operations and initiatives with them
- An Airport Carbon Accreditation program, or similar carbon management program, with the goal of reducing our carbon footprint
- Noise monitoring, reduction, and abatement
- A Water Quality Management Program
- A Wildlife Management Plan
- Partnerships and alliances with agencies that can guide us in our efforts, such as Fair Trade Canada, the Canadian Beverage Container Recycling Association, and the Canada Green Building Council
- Campaigns to encourage the use of environmentally responsible practices among WAA employees, operators, tenants, customers, suppliers, and contractors