For some travellers, this holiday season may be the first time they pack their bags and move through Winnipeg Richardson International Airport since the onset of the pandemic. To help you know what to expect, we’ve outlined some key tips and important resources to support you in anticipating a smooth airport experience at YWG.
Tips for every traveller:
Proof of vaccination
- Travellers aged 12 plus four months or older must be able to provide proof of vaccination to fly out of YWG. The Pan-Canadian Proof of Vaccination Credential is a reliable way to show your proof of vaccination for travel. If you’re from Manitoba, you can obtain your Pan-Canadian Proof of Vaccination Credential on the Government of Manitoba’s website. At this time, proof of vaccination is being verified by airlines.
Connect with your airline
- We recommend you reach out to your airline in advance of your trip to ensure you have the proper documentation for your travel itinerary and to confirm the details of your flight.
Arrive early and wear a mask
- Allow plenty of time to check-in, move through security and board your flight. We recommend you review with your airline how early to arrive prior to your flight and factor in extra time for transportation to YWG along with added health measures. You must also wear a face covering or non-medical masks inside the terminal and on your flight
Check what’s open
- It’s best to review what’s open in the terminal in advance by visiting the At YWG section of our website, especially if you plan to grab a bite to eat or want to find a last-minute gift at the airport.
Keep travel documents close-by
- Make sure your travel documents, whether they’re digital or printed, can easily be accessed as you move through the airport experience.
- Don’t wrap gifts in a carry-on bag as they may need to be unwrapped going through security.
- There are limitations on liquids, gels and aerosols you can pack in your carry-on bag. You can bring one liquid hand-sanitizer bottle in your carry-on as long as it’s less than 355 ml To see what you can bring with you, visit CATSA’s helpful online packing tool.
Meeting and greeting
- Your family and friends can send you off inside the airport or greet you upon arrival at YWG. There are short term parking options available close to the terminal. Don’t forget: everyone who enters the airport must wear a mask and practice physical distancing.
- Keep an eye out for our Goldwing Ambassadors if you need assistance or directions. These volunteers are easy to spot in their gold blazers and can be found throughout the terminal.
- Our Information Booth, located on the Arrivals Level near Door 3, is also available 24/7 to help you with any questions you may have.
Tips for domestic travellers:
Review requirements and advisories within Canada
- You need to know the restrictions and protocols for both ends of your trip. Visit the Government of Canada’s website to review domestic travel rules for all territories and provinces. At this time, domestic travellers entering Manitoba who are fully vaccinated do not need to self-isolate upon arrival.
Tips for international travellers:
Testing facility on-site
- If you’re travelling internationally and require a COVID-19 test to meet the needs of your itinerary, there’s a testing facility at YWG operated by CardiAI. Visit CardiAI’s website to learn more about the different types of tests, rates and result times available.
Be sure to use ArriveCan
- If you’re returning to Canada, you need to use ArriveCan to submit your travel details, including your quarantine plan and pre-departure testing requirements. We also advise you pre-register for international arrival testing, which is carried out by Dynacare at YWG. Additional details on the latest processes can be found on the Government of Canada’s website.
Review requirements and advisories
- It’s critical to know the restrictions in place at the Canadian border, or any other region you plan to visit. You can review advisories and advice on the Government of Canada’s website, as well as quarantine requirements upon entering the country.
For more information on a specific topic, gain answers to frequently asked questions or to review our commitment to providing a healthy and safe airport environment, please visit the Travel Well YWG section of our website. For those travelling over the holidays, we look forward to welcoming you back to Winnipeg Richardson International Airport and helping you get to where you need to be this season.