We are committed to exceeding all public health guidelines and meeting the highest cleaning standards to provide a safe airport environment for all. Our YWG Clean Program embodies all actions taken to date, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, to further provide a healthy and safe travel environment. Our actions and initiatives are being expanded upon on an ongoing basis in collaboration with public health authorities to help ensure all travellers, visitors and airport employees feel safe and confident moving through the airport.
What we're doing every day at YWG
Our cleaning teams are working diligently, combining manual techniques and leading technology, to achieve a new standard of cleanliness in all areas. Below are some examples of the measures in place at YWG to further prioritize cleanliness and provide a healthy airport experience.
Enhanced cleaning routines and tools
- Washrooms are being cleaned hourly, including water bottle re-fill stations.
- To provide another layer to meet increased standards, our innovation team has re-imagined a piece of AI technology to support our cleaning team. The video analytics software, called Zensors, alerts cleaners of increased traffic outside the main airport washroom so they can proactively address issues.
- An electrostatic sprayer is being used to help disinfect touch surfaces, such as seating areas, multiple times daily.
Addressing high-touch areas
- Enhanced cleaning icons are on display to showcase these high-priority cleaning locations being addressed manually and with the help of technology, such as handrails, ATMs, kiosks, elevators, inside the terminal.
- Common use areas outside of the terminal are also being disinfected frequently, such as parking equipment and pay stations.
Sourcing new technology to further sanitize high-touch areas, such as installing a built-in handrail sterilizer on the main escalator leading into the Arrivals Hall and a touchless system that allows users to operate the main terminal elevator from a smartphone.
Sanitizer and solutions
- Increased hand sanitizer stations are always being replenished in convenient locations throughout each step of the travel experience for encouraged traveller use.
- Hand hygiene is also supported by touch-free soap dispensers, sinks and hand dryers inside the washrooms at YWG. Individual sanitizers are also available in each stall.
- All cleaning solutions have also been reviewed to achieve the greatest result and meet health standards, in accordance with Health Canada.
- Air filtration is set to the highest standard to match that of a hospital setting inside the terminal. Fresh air is pushed through three different filters to achieve superior air quality before it enters the terminal through energy-efficient ventilation features.
- Anyone entering the terminal must wear a non-medical mask or face covering and physical distancing is promoted through the entire terminal in all main areas.
- Touch encounters have been minimized across the airport campus, including adding another contactless parking option, called VIP Curbside, increasing the tap limit to $250 for touchfree payments and removing the iconic Hug Rug to discourage touch greetings and crowding.