Application deadline: 2019-09-13
Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA) is a community-based, non-share capital corporation that operates, manages, and invests in the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport and affiliate businesses. Operating on a multi-site property, the WAA is responsible for airport operations, security, facilities, parking, ground transportation and communications.
With an ever-expanding airport campus, WAA is a critical player in the development of one of Canada’s strategic transportation hubs. As a perennial “Top Manitoba Employer”, WAA prides itself as an organization that attracts engaged employees with the right skills, in the right place, and at the right time. http://www.waa.ca
Reporting to the Vice President, Communications and Government Relations, the Manager, Communications is responsible for development and leadership of WAA internal and external communications. This role is responsible for the management, oversight and guidance of employees on the Communications Team, and for establishing departmental priorities aligned with WAA’s strategic direction.
The Manager, Communications is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with relevant WAA stakeholders and has discretionary decision-making authority concerning matters of operational importance to WAA. The role provides input, guidance, advice, strategic direction, fiscal, and resource planning to WAA.
This role is responsible for WAA’s internal communications across the entire group of companies and is also responsible for external communications, including social media and media relations. The Manager, Communications, will be called upon to act as the official spokesperson for WAA when needed.
- Tell WAA’s story using existing communication channels, and develop innovative new ways based on industry best practice;
- Elevate WAA’s social media presence in line with the company’s strategic priorities;
- Lead the Communications Team in the development and implementation of a robust internal communications plan that delivers on the company’s vision, mission and values;
- Coordinate and manage resources for day-to-day communication activities;
- Oversee the development and implementation of communication initiatives;
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key decision-makers in client/tenant organizations to foster good working relationships and an understanding of airport issues;
- Provide guidance and leadership to staff, consultants, and others on matters relating to internal and external communications;
- Organizational subject matter expert in communications, providing input on the strategic direction of the Communications Department, and assuming ownership of relevant software systems;
- Responsible for the financial management of the department including preparation of the departmental budget and ongoing monthly monitoring of costs;
- Lead, coach, and develop communications team members, performing all managerial functions for the department.
Selection Criteria include:
- A degree or diploma in Communications, Journalism or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 5+ years of experience in a communications role;
- Interpersonal and organizational savvy with the ability to collaborate with cross-functional business partners to achieve results;
- Effectively communicates information and ideas, both verbally and in writing;
- Tech savvy with extensive experience working with digital and traditional media;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of difference situations;
- Resourcefulness with the ability to manage multiple initiatives with strong prioritization skills;
- Ability to instill trust and gain the confidence of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity;
- Political acumen, with a demonstrated ability to understand the nuances of the role and communicate issues effectively;
- Understanding of how to build, maintain and grow a brand through effective communication;
- Experience leading a communications team preferred;
- Bilingual (French-English) competency, both oral and written, preferred;
- Budgeting and cost management skills preferred.
Condition of employment is the ability to obtain and maintain an Airport Restricted Area Identification Card.
Send your resume & cover letter, indicating your salary expectations, quoting Project 19 –020: Manager, Communications in the subject line to:
Winnipeg Airports Authority, Human Resources, 249 - 2000 Wellington Ave, Winnipeg, MB, R3H 1C2
The WAA is an employment equity employer; aboriginal persons, women, visible minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to self-declare in their cover letter.