At WAA, safety is our top priority. In collaboration with our industry partners, we are implementing an array of preventative measures to meet and exceed the direction of public health authorities to best protect the travelling public, visitors and all staff. Throughout this situation, we have listened to the feedback of our community and shared best practices with our airport partners to create a strong defense against the spread of COVID-19.
Inside the airport terminal, we’ve added:
- Additional hand sanitizer stations in high-traffic areas to promote proper hygiene.
- Increased awareness signage to encourage social distancing, notifying travellers of the latest advisories and sharing information about preventative strategies, symptoms, contact information, protocols and more.
- Heightened our cleaning practices and solutions to meet required standards, prioritizing high-touch surfaces, including monitoring select areas such as traveller kiosks with increased diligence.
- Key Storage service available at our Information Booth for families and friends to self-park a vehicle and leave keys for an arriving traveller in alignment with social distancing and self-isolation.
At the same time, we’ve temporarily removed, closed or suspended:
- Our iconic Hug Rug to avoid touch greetings and minimize crowds to promote social distancing.
- Our Valet and Away Service to minimize touch and potential exposure risk.
- Some dining and shopping services. Please visit waa.ca/services for current store hours.
- Customer service programs, such as our Goldwing Ambassadors and on-site therapy dogs.
In collaboration with our airport partners, we have also implemented:
- Enhanced screening measures related to personal and public health at security checkpoints.
- A multi-layered approach to identify, monitor and assess travellers in relation to potential risk, including following requirements to deny boarding for travellers with COVID-19 symptoms.
- A working partnership with Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living and Shared Health to raise public awareness through ad campaigns, as well as digital and print material being distributed in multiple languages.
As we continue to implement effective strategies, protocols and processes, we wish to thank the travelling public for their cooperation, understanding and support during this challenging time. We also wish to thank our frontline workers who are continuing to carry out these measures and keep the airport operating to service our community.