At Winnipeg Airports Authority, safety is our top priority. In collaboration with our industry partners, we are implementing an array of preventative measures to meet and exceed the direction of public health authorities and governing bodies to best protect the travelling public, visitors and all staff. Throughout this situation, we have listened to the feedback of our community and collaborated with our airport partners to create a strong defense against the spread of COVID-19.
Inside or near the airport terminal, we’ve added:
- Additional hand sanitizer stations in high-traffic areas to promote proper hygiene.
- Individual sanitizer stations in each washroom stall for surface sanitization.
- Increased awareness materials to encourage physical distancing in each area of the terminal and ensure travellers are aware of the new requirement to wear a non-medical mask/face covering
- Updates to parking procedures to issue all tickets at the entrance, offer cashless payment options at the exit and increase the tap function limit to $250 per transaction.
- Ample digital and print signage in English and French sharing the latest travel advisories, information about preventative strategies, symptoms, contact information, protocols and more.
- Heightened our cleaning practices and solutions to meet required standards, prioritizing high-touch surfaces
- Enhanced Cleaning signs in high priority locations, such as near hand railings or in elevators, to indicate our cleaning team is prioritizing these areas with increased diligence to exceed public health standards.
- Key Storage service available at our Information Booth for families and friends to self-park a vehicle and leave keys for an arriving traveller in alignment with physical distancing and self-isolation protocols.
At the same time, we’ve temporarily removed, closed or suspended:
- Our iconic Hug Rug to avoid touch greetings and minimize crowds to promote physical distancing.
- Every other check-in kiosk has been powered down to adhere to current physical distancing standards.
- Some dining and shopping services. Please visit waa.ca/services for current store hours.
- Customer service programs, such as our Goldwing Ambassadors and on-site therapy dogs.
In collaboration with our airport partners, we have also implemented:
- Enhanced screening measures related to personal and public health at security checkpoints.
- A multi-layered approach to identify, monitor and assess travellers in relation to potential risk including following requirements to deny boarding for travellers with COVID-19 symptoms..
- Changes to the check-in procedures based on the individual airlines, these may include physical distancing measures, Plexiglass barriers, bag tag updates, health screenings and more.
- Safety measures for shopping or dining venues inside the airport based on public health protocols, such as directional flow signage and seating to align with physical distancing, disposable cutlery, etc
- A working partnership with local public health authorities to raise public awareness through ad campaigns as well as digital and print material being displayed in multiple languages.
As we continue to implement effective strategies, protocols and processes, we wish to thank the travelling public for their cooperation, understanding and support during this challenging time. We also wish to thank our frontline workers who are continuing to carry out these measures and keep the airport operating to serve our community.