WAA recognizes environmental management as among its highest corporate priorities and a key determinate of sustainable development. WAA is committed to maintaining appropriate corporate mechanisms to ensure sound environmental management of Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport.
- Integrated Management WAA will integrate environmental stewardship into its business practices, establishing the necessary policies, programs, and practices to conduct operations in an environmentally sound manner.
- Compliance WAA will commit to compliance with applicable Federal and relevant Provincial and Municipal laws, regulations, and agreements.
- Continuous Improvement WAA will continue to improve its environmental management system and performance through regular reviews and updates.
- Conservation and Pollution Prevention WAA will strive to develop and promote its services in ways that conserve energy and natural resources, and promote initiatives to avoid, reduce and control pollution.
- Openness WAA will foster openness and dialogue with employees and the public, anticipating and responding to their concerns about environmental issues.
To achieve this policy, WAA adopts the following practices:
- Environmental Management System WAA will maintain an environmental management system that is consistent with its Environmental Policy.
- Education and Promotion WAA will promote awareness and encourage the use of environmentally responsible practices among WAA employees and Airport operators, tenants, suppliers and contractors and their employees.
- Prior Assessment WAA will assess environmental impacts before starting any substantive new project or activity, and before decommissioning a facility.
- Emergency Preparedness WAA will maintain plans and procedures to deal with environmental emergencies to ensure timely and effective corrective actions in the event of an accident.
- Audits WAA will conduct periodic environmental audits of Airport facilities and operations, including tenant activities where practicable.
- Reporting WAA Board of Directors will receive reports from WAA’s management on environmental compliance and performance, and will be apprised of significant environmental issues affecting WAA.